Thursday, September 20, 2012

John “Jack” Prosser – 13/07/24 - 20/09/12

Grief is like the ocean, it's deep and dark and bigger than all of us.

Saying goodbye to someone you love is one of the hardest events. No matter how much preparation you have, it will never feel like it is enough. You will want that person to smile at you one more time, laugh with you one more time, hug you one more time, and be given one more time to tell them you love them and what they really mean to you.
My grandfather slipped away on this day. Unfortunately, something which we all thought was manageable, turned out not to be.  When I look back two years ago when I began to write this book, at the time all I knew was that I wanted to be a writer, but I didn’t have a great story that I felt I wanted to write about. But when I was at my uncle John's wedding, and my grandfather came along and casually told me his I knew immediately that it was the story I was searching for. Since then, I have interviewed him, researched, and worked hard to learn how to write a great book. However, doing all this I got so much more than I could ever ask for. Spending time with my grandfather learning about him and his story taught me so many things about life and myself. His wisdom, kindness, guidance, laughter, knowledge and strength are something I will always treasure and never take for granted.
My grandfather fought to the absolute end, he never gave up. His spirit was resilient like the soldier he was, and his mind was nimble listening and responding to everything around him. It was just his physical body that told him it was time to go. Spending his last week with him was difficult and heartbreaking. To see someone you love deteriorate in front of you is incredibly hard, however I would do it all over again, because his presence was worth everything. Been able to hold his hand, watch him have his last beer with his sons, my uncle give him his last shave, my mum’s endless care over her father, hear him crack a joke when everyone was down, laugh with the family at the three wives he had, and watch the amazing and loving family and friends he built and continuously watched over come and visit him.
It is said to experience grief, is the price we pay for love. My grandfather was so dear to me, and how much he meant to others is an indication of his character. With death there is life, my grandfather lived to meet his 14th grandchild the beautiful Ava Mei Prosser who was born three weeks prior his death. Also, the day my grandfather passed away was his grandsons tenth birthday. I knew my grandfather’s death was a high possibility when I started to write about him due to his age, and that it could occur at any time. However, when it happens nothing can ever prepare you, because it doesn’t matter how old they are, you never want to see someone you love disappear.

John ‘Jack’ Prosser was an extraordinary and unique man. I only hope I can make him proud, as proud as I am to say he was my grandfather.
 


 











No comments:

Post a Comment