Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Sydney ANZAC Parade

ANZAC Day is one of the most important national occasions in Australia.  We celebrate and remember our ancestors who fought and died for our country. Without their sacrifice’s each and every one of us would not have the lives we have today.
After watching sunrise it was time for the Sydney ANZAC Parade. Last year, my grandfather became ill on the morning of ANZAC Day and was extremely disappointed as it was the first ANZAC Parade he had ever missed.  This year the weather was perfect and nothing was stopping him.
I got the absolute honour to be with my grandfather in the Parade. This year unfortunately at age 88 he couldn’t walk the distance, so he got first class inside a jeep and I got a ride in the back.
It was a lovely experience, I am very fortunate that my grandfather is still alive today and that I had the opportunity to do it with him. But the most delightful and exciting part of being in the parade was the amount of people that lined George Street and Martin Place to celebrate and thank the veteran soldiers. So to whomever that was there thank you, because it meant the world to my grandfather to see all of you and the Australian flags waving.
Hope you all had a great ANZAC Day however you celebrated. These beautiful photographs were taken by Jessica Lindsay, and a couple shaky ones from me on the back.

xx













L-R: My father (Gordon Powell), me, my grandfather Jack and my uncle John Prosser.
 


Photo's by Jessica Lindsay © Copyright 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment